Friday, January 27, 2012

Soup...It's Just Liquid with Stuff In It!

This was sauces and soups week in class.  Chef reminded us SEVERAL times that soup is really only liquid with stuff in it.  It's not complicated, it's nothing to be scared of, and can be one of the easiest things to throw together at the last second.  The book tries to make the whole process really difficult, using many different pots, doing everything separately and throwing it all together at the last second.  Thank goodness for Chef's outlook on making soup!  I LOVE soup!  I could eat it almost everyday.  I also have a daughter who LOVES soup.  But I'm a busy mom.  I don't have time to do twenty different steps in five different pots.  That's time I don't have and dishes I don't want to clean.  Not to mention what little miss princess might get into while I'm slaving away.  So, today I offer you the soup I made in class.  It's SUPER easy, uses one pot, takes 10-15 minutes to throw together...and then you leave it alone for 30 minutes or so (and hey, it probably takes at least that long to get everyone wrangled for dinner anyway!)  Oh...and I apologize in advance for the picture not being the best.  I do what I can with harsh overhead florescent lighting in the school kitchen!  ENJOY!!

Bean and Potato Soup
Serves 4-6

2 bacon strips; cut into thin slices
1/2 c dried beans; rinsed and soaked
1/2 c onion; diced
1/4 c carrot; diced
1/4 c celery; diced
1 c potato; diced
1 bay leaf
T dried thyme
1 garlic clove; minced
2 qts ham or beef stock (I used ham stock and added some of the meat from the ham hock into the soup)
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the bacon strips in a pot on the stove over medium until the fat is rendered (2-3 minutes).  Add onion, celery and carrot to pot.  Sweat the vegetables in the bacon grease for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add all other ingredients (except salt and pepper.)  Stir well.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer the soup for 30-45 minutes (or until the beans are cooked through).  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve!

We also made "croutons" to go with the soup.  Thinly slice French bread, top with Gruyere cheese, put on a cooking sheet in the oven at 400 degrees until golden brown.  YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment