Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cookbook Creations

My mom makes jelly.  Awesome jelly.  And did I happen to mention it's made from wine?  How much better can that be?  She mostly sells it at craft and Christmas shows and recently has broken into bridal shows.  To give her a little edge at these events, other than giving her jelly out for samples, I've been coming along to help.  I've integrated her jelly into different dishes and have served those along side her samples.  I think that's helped make a few sells.  After all, who can say no to a free sample of Cranberry Chocolate Parfait...not me!

This year at the Yule Mart in Fort Bragg as we were passing out yummy food samples, along with the recipes of course, someone suggested that we create a cookbook with recipes using all the different jellies as an ingredient.  It was a total "why didn't we think of that moment"!  Of course, once I hear an idea like that, I can't let go of it.  Mom and I talked logistics and off we ran to begin the cookbook.  I guess I wasn't thinking so clearly on how much of a task this could be while I'm going back to school...but no rest for the weary...we're going full steam ahead!

With this cookbook creation comes taste testing.  I don't want to put anything in the book that I wouldn't want to eat, so therefore I must try all the recipes before they go in.  Some have been really good...others, well let's just say they could use some work.  My hubby has been hanging with me through this, though I know secretly he's thinking...when are we going to be done with jelly and go back to my manly tacos?  So today I offer for you a sneak peak into a recipe that's going in the book.  I adapted this recipe from a blog titled "Confections of a Foodie Bride."  I found her on Pinterest and her blog is wonderful!  I need to spend some time stalking her blog to find some more goodies.  So, here's my version.  Give it a try and tell me what you think?  Would you buy the cookbook with more yummies like this one?

Cherry Berry Balsamic Pork Tenderloin
Makes 4 servings

2 oz Aunt Bunny's Cherry Blend Jelly 
2 oz water
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 lb pork tenderloin
salt and pepper
1 T butter
1/4 c shallot; minced
2 garlic cloves; minced
2 tsp dried rosemary; chopped
3/4 c chicken broth
2 T balsamic vinegar

1- In a sauce pan on the stove, melt the jelly in the water.  Once the jelly is melted, add the balsamic vinegar.  Keep the mixture warm, but not boiling.
2- Preheat oven to 400.
3- Heat olive oil in an oven proof skillet.
4- Rinse, trim and dry pork tenderloin.  Season all sides with salt and pepper.
5- Sear pork in olive oil, about 2 minutes per side.
6- Put skillet in the oven and cook for 20 minutes.  Remove the pork from the skillet and onto a plate.  Loosely cover with foil and let rest.
7- In the same skillet the pork was in, add the butter, shallot and garlic.  Cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes.
8- Add rosemary and broth.  Deglaze the pan by scraping the browned bits of pork off the bottom. 
9- Stir in the jelly mixture.  Simmer, stirring often until the sauce has begun to thicken, about 10 minutes.
10- Serve sauce over sliced pork tenderloin.

No comments:

Post a Comment