Tuesday, February 28, 2012

It's Never To Late

The past few weeks have been difficult for me.  Nothing has changed, just been one of those past couple of weeks.  Maybe it's because I have birthday looming next week.  Maybe because I've started looking at preschools for my sweet baby girl.  Maybe it's the mile long to-do list that never seems to get any shorter no matter what I do.  Maybe it's the looks I get from some people when they hear I've gone back to school.  More than likely it's a combination of all those things.  The last one is the hardest one to get past.  I've been trying very hard lately not to let other people's actions affect me.  And it's harder sometimes than I wish it would be.

You know the look I'm talking about.  People give it to you for all kinds of things.  The first time I ever got the look was when I would tell people I was a stay at home mom.  You get this look, from just about everyone who hasn't been a stay at home mom, as if to say "Oh...I'm sorry" or "Must be nice to have a rich husband" or (my favorite) "That fulfils you?"  I got used to it after a while.  After all, I am very proud that I have had the opportunity to spend priceless time with my daughter watching her grow and develop.  It's been a challenge and we've had to sacrifice things as a family, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

For some reason the look I get now really gets under my skin.  It's as if people are looking at me like "You're in school now?  And you're how old?"  Then thanks to a very good friend of mine and pinterest I started to feel a little better.  She found a quote about Julie Child that stated Julie didn't start cooking until she was 37.  Thank you friend, I needed that.  I needed to hear that someone who is very accomplished in the same field I want to be accomplished in started at an "older" age.  She did other things before finding her calling as a chef.  If she could do it, than so can I.  And...if I can have even one ounce the success she did, I will be beyond ecstatic with my choice.  It's taking some time, but I'm slowly pulling myself out of this crazy funk.

So...in honor of being in a funk lately, I give you a sweet treat to munch on.  After all, what's better than chewy gooey brownies when you are down in the dumps?  I've been making this brownie recipe since I was 9 or 10.  It's quick, easy and ohhh so much chocolaty goodness.  This time, I made one little change.  I added some of my mom's jelly.  The extra moisture keeps the brownies extra moist and yummy even days after you make them...if they last that long!  I think this will become a permanent change in my trusty brownie recipe!

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownies
Makes 16 brownies

1/2 c butter; melted
1/2 c self rising flour
1 c sugar
1/3 c Hershey's cocoa
2 t vanilla
4 T Aunt Bunny's Chocolate Covered Strawberry Jelly
1 T milk
2 eggs

1- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2- Grease a 9 inch square, glass baking dish.
3- Stir together butter, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl.
4- Add eggs and beat well with a wooden spoon.
5- Stir together flour and cocoa in a separate bowl.  Gradually add to the egg mixture, beating until well blended.
6- Stir in jelly and milk, making sure to break down all clumps. 
7- Spread batter evenly in pan.  Bake 20-30 minutes until brownies start to pull away from the sides of the pan and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
8- Cool completely and cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment